Saturday, February 11, 2012

Homemade Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits

This is a quick, Saturday morning breakfast treat.  It does not require yeast, so there is no waiting for your dough to rise.  Don't expect the same texture and flavor you get from a traditional cinnamon roll. But these are still the bomb!  And I got to sleep in and still made sweet biscuits for breakfast...win win! :-)


My boys love cinnamon rolls, but I will not buy Grands anymore, knowing what I know.  I don't want to give them anymore junk in their diet than I need to.  So, we occasionally buy the Immaculate Baking cinnamon rolls from Whole Foods, but they cost a bit.


So, I found this recipe in my 2 inch "A-L" binder and thought I would give it a try.  It was super easy to make.


Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits (or any filling you prefer)
2 cups sifted organic-all purpose flour (I love King Arthur)
1 tablespoon baking powder (always buy aluminum free and non-gmo if you can)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup organic canola oil
3/4 cup buttermilk (or buy the Organic Valley dry buttermilk blend, use 2.5 tbsp and 3/4 cup water.  LOVE this stuff!!!)
2-3 tablespoons organic butter (Meijer organics is great.  Softened.)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
(I have a bunch of Pampered chef sprinkles, Sweet mocha hazelnut sprinkle and sweet caramel sprinkle that I am using instead of the 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.)


Icing
1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons organic milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (not artificial)


1.  Combine sifted flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and mix well (I used my kitchenaid bowl).  Stir in organic canola oil.  Add buttermilk or buttermilk blend and water and stir just until blended.










2.  Place bread kneader attachment on your kitchenaid stand mixer and let place on 2nd speed.  Let the machine do the kneading for you.  Sprinkle a little bit of flour in the mixing bowl as the attachment is kneading, until you see the dough pull away from the sides, cleaning the bowl.  Dough should look smooth.  Remove dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface making a 15 x 8 inch rectangle.  (If you do not have a kitchenaid stand mixer knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.  Then roll dough into a 15 x 8 inch rectangle.)  













3.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a cast iron skillet or a 9 inch round baking pan lightly with organic olive oil.  (Aerosol Pam is bad.  You can buy a mister from Pampered Chef and make your own spray oil!)













4.  Spread softened butter over the dough with a pastry brush.  Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix well.  Sprinkle over butter.  Or sprinkle your Pampered Chef sprinkles over the butter. 


Roll up rectangle, jelly roll fashion, starting from one long side.  Pinch seam to seal.


5.  Cut the roll into 1 1/2 inch slices.  Arrange the slices in your prepared pan.  Bake until lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes.  Remove from the oven.  The recipe says you call pour milk over the top, never heard of this.  So, I made the icing above.  

They taste great and are quite beautiful!  I had mine with a glass of vanilla rice milk (I have almost given up dairy), sooo good!



























Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews