Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Almond Pancakes----Oh my!



So, I haven't made pancakes for a while.  Unless the flour is soaked over night, I don't want to feed pancakes to my kids.  So, Friday night I was standing at my cookbook pondering over which flour I was going to soak and which recipe I was going to make the following morning for our Saturday morning BIG breakfast.  And I was pleasantly surprised to find an almond flour pancake recipe that I did not need to soak.  Why you ask did I not need to soak this flour?  Answer:  I had already soaked the almonds and dried them.  So, all I had left to do was grind the almonds into a flour before making breakfast and we would be eating.

Let me tell you...this pancake recipe is DIVINE!  It is a very rich pancake, I could only eat two (that's not much for me normally) and I was full.  My 5 year old loved them and my 2 year old told me "yuck."  I don't think the 2 year olds palette is quite developed enough to enjoy the grain-less beauty these pancakes provide.  ;-)

So, here it is.  Let me know if you try this and what you think.



Almond Pancakes
1 cup finely ground almond flour from soaked and dried almonds that you prepared
1 Tbsp raw honey or 5 drops of liquid stevia
2 Tbsp expeller pressed coconut oil, softened
Splash of pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup seltzer water in clear glass bottles
2 eggs from free range chickens (ours come from the Amish)

Grind your almonds is a food processor or blender.  I used my bullet and I still had some small pieces of almond in the flour.  Next time I am going to try my food processor.  

Mix all the above ingredients together and cook on a griddle or skillet on medium heat in a small amount of butter or expeller coconut oil.  Serve with Grade B maple syrup or raw honey and butter.  Remember these pancakes do not flip like regular pancakes, you have to be pretty gentle when you flip these.  And hey, if they fall apart upon flipping, they will still taste AAAAMAZING!  :-)

This recipe made about 5-6 pancakes.  Double if needed.  :-)




*Recipe adapted from The Healthy Home Economist


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews