Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Soooo Good Waffles

I forgot to take a pic of it before I over half way devoured it. Lol

I am always looking for a delicious and healthy waffle.  Guess what?  I found one.  Here it is.  My kids loved them!

Waffles
1 1/4 c freshly ground spelt or homemade all purpose (half whole wheat and half barley) I used my homemade all purpose this time
Clabbered raw milk, plain organic yogurt and water or org buttermilk(I used clabbered raw)
2 free range eggs
2 tablespoons grade b maple syrup
Pinch of sea salt (Celtic or Redmonds)
Butter (Kerrygold, RAW or organic)

12-24 hours before you want to eat your waffles place the flour in a glass bowl.  Pour enough clabbered milk, stirring slowly (or organic buttermilk or a combination of plain organic yogurt and water) into the flour to just make it nice and moist.  Cover with a cheesecloth or white unbleached kitchen towel and secure with a rubber band.  Let glass bowl with wet flour set out on your countertop for 12-24 hours.

When you want to prepare your waffles, plug in your waffle maker, remove the cheesecloth from your glass bowl.  Stir in eggs, maple syrup and sea salt.  Then add enough additional clabbered milk, buttermilk or raw milk to achieve the consistency you want for waffles.  You want your waffle batter to be thicker than a pancake batter, keep in mind.

Place butter on a wooden spoon or knife and butter your waffle iron.  Pour batter into iron. My batter was way toooooo thin this morning so I had to cook mine for a loooong time.  

Keep in mind this recipe is not a "win 1st place at a beauty pageant" type of waffle recipe.  And your waffles may not come out as firm as you are used to feeling....but let me tell you, it received a blue ribbon from this judge on flavor!  :-)

And also, I am not proud that I use a teflon waffle maker, not proud at all, but it is what we have right now. :-(

**Always use the ratio of...for every 1/2 cup water use 1 tbsp yogurt when soaking grains or flour.  And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS soak your grains and flour for 12-24 hours before eating them.



Adapted from Kitchen Stewardship An AWESOME blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews