This video is what got me pumped up!! Click here to view. Soooooo exciting!
Alzheimer's is now being called "diabetes of the brain." After numerous failed attempts of a new wonder drug to cure or at least help alzheimer's, many are looking in a new direction. A direction of food. And numerous people, as you saw in the video are beginning to see positive side effects from using coconut oil.
Get ready to get up in arms at me. Evidence is showing that the "wonderful" low fat diet we have all been brainwashed into believing is so great for us, plus all the over prescribed cholesterol lowering medication, just might be what is putting our parents and grandparents on the exam table receiving the heavy words from their doctor of, "you have been diagnosed with alzheimer's." Grant it, heredity and other factors beyond current released research also contribute to alzheimer's disease.
We need cholesterol in order for our brain to function. The brain may only take up 2% of our body's mass but the brain contains 25% of our bodies cholesterol. If you remove cholesterol from your diet, you starve your brain, thus enters alzheimer's when we are older. Read this for more information.
"People suffering from Alzheimer’s should immediately start avoiding polyunsaturated forms of oil such as soy and corn oils, especially if they are hydrogenated and in the form of trans fatty acids!!!!!!"
So, this blog post is all about the new and incredibly exciting information with regards to coconut oil and dementia and alzheimer's This is so exciting to me and goes to show how POWERFUL food is. I remember at a young age hearing someone say that food was medicine. I thought that person was nuts. Too bad it has taken me 10 years of growing and learning to figure this out for myself. Hopefully, you will make the changes now and not wait 10 years to "get it."
- Anti-bacterial (kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum diseases, and other bacterial infections)
- Anti-carcinogenic (coconut oil has antimicrobial properties so it effectively prevents the spread of cancer cells and enhances the immune system)
- Anti-fungal (kills fungi and yeast that lead to infection)
- Anti-inflammatory (appears to have a direct effect in suppressing inflammation and repairing tissue, and it may also contribute by inhibiting harmful intestinal microorganisms that cause chronic inflammation.)
- Anti-microbial/Infection Fighting (the medium-chain fatty acids and monoglycerides found in coconut oil are the same as those in human mother's milk, and they have extraordinary antimicrobial properties. By disrupting the lipid structures of microbes, they inactivate them. About half of coconut oil consists of lauric acid. Lauric acid, its metabolite monolaurin and other fatty acids in coconut oil are known to protect against infection from bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi and parasites. While not having any negative effect on beneficial gut bacteria, coconut oil inactivates undesirable microbes.)
- An Antioxidant (protects against free-radical formation and damage)
- Anti-parasitic (fights to rid the body of tapeworms, lice and other parasites)
- Anti-protozoa (kills giardia, a common protozoan infection of the gut)
- Anti-retroviral (can reduce the viral load of HIV-AIDS patience)
- Anti-viral (kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other viruses)
- Effective at improving nutrient absorption (easily digestible; makes vitamins and minerals more available to the body)
- Has no harmful or discomforting side effects
- Infection fighting
- Nontoxic to humans and animals
Coconut oil- GET IT IN YOU!!!!!!!!!!! (This goes for EVERYONE here.....E V E R Y O N E !) So, below are different ways to get coconut oil in you!!! I am going to write all the ways that I can find, so that no one has an excuse. There has to be 1 way you can get coconut oil in you. It would be great if you can do all of the ideas below. ;-)
Click here for 333 ways to use coconut oil!!! Soooo cool!
Here is a chart giving you an idea of daily recommended dose:
|Weight in pounds/kilograms||Number of tablespoons of coconut oil daily|
|150+ /68+||3 1/2|
|125+ / 57+||3|
|100+/ 45+||2 1/2|
|75+ / 34+||2|
|50+ / 23+||1 1/2|
|25+ / 11+||1|
Eat it- (start with 1 tsp at a time and try to work up to your daily recommended dose each day)
1. Add a tablespoon to your oatmeal
2. Use it in place of butter on your toast and when cooking or baking
3. Add a tablespoon to your smoothie
4. Warm it till it is a liquid (use only warm water) drink it
5. Stop using olive oil for sauteing and use coconut oil instead
6. Eat a tablespoon of it off of a spoon (if you don't like it solid, place in mouth and let it melt, then swallow)
7. Mix coconut oil with organic peanut butter (or almond butter) and cinnamon and spread on sprouted bread or eat out of bowl
8. Make chocolate candy with it. (oh my! and sooo easy)
9. Use it to pop your popcorn in and melt and put on your popcorn (not microwave popcorn in a bag!!!)
10. Add it to your pasta dish
11. Use on your baked potato
12. Add it to your bowl of soup
13. This post could go on forever so go here. lol
14. You can also by refined coconut oil to keep on hand when you want a healthier oil but not the coconut flavor
Note: Never microwave coconut oil! Always place your coconut oil in a small bowl and then place that bowl in another bowl with hot water in it (not boiling) and stir the coconut oil around until it melts. Heating the coconut oil too hot will destroy all the beneficial properties in it.
Skin and Hair-
1. Use it on your face (just a little) as your moisturizer and your eyelids and neck
2. Use it in your hair instead of all that gel, styling foam and pomades with loads of crap in them
3. Use it for your lotion
4. If you don't want to use it for your all over body lotion, at least rub some onto your tummy
5. Use it around your eyes to decrease puffiness
6. Use it as your chapstick
7. Makeup remover
8. Apply to scrapes and cuts
9. When kids are sick rub it onto the bottoms of their feet and cover with socks
10. Dry nose in the winter, swab a small amount inside your nose
Coconut oil pulling- this is 1000 times easier than our minds want to make it out to be!
1. Brush your teeth with water, no toothpaste
2. When you wake up put 1 tbsp of coconut oil in your mouth
3. Wait a minute or 2 for the oil to melt in your mouth
4. Start swishing when you notice some has melted
5. Try to keep you head bent down a bit so the oil stays on your teeth
6. Swish, swish, swish and try to put some between your teeth and lips and pull it back into your mouth through your teeth
7. Go as long as you can. First time I went 13 minutes. Goal is up to 20 minutes every day
8. DO NOT SWALLOW any of the oil, it will be full of bacteria that has been pulled from your mouth and body
9. Spit out the oil into a paper towel or in your trash can. Coconut oil solidifies so you do not want this in your water pipes clogging things up
10. Rinse your mouth at least 5 times with warm clean water, or warm salt water spitting out the water each time before adding new to your mouth
11. Now here I find conflicting suggestions. One suggestion is to brush your teeth with a natural toothpaste and second is to not use toothpaste but to use soap, yes soap, by either swiping your toothbrush on your bar of soap or putting a less than pea size of liquid soap on your toothbrush and then brush. You can also use baking soda.
You have to use organic, virgin, unrefined coconut oil here. Have to.
You want to do this on an empty stomach.
Benefits to oil pulling---
Strengthen your immune system
Prevent heart disease, cancer, diabetes and arthritis
Shiny silky hair
Prevent premature aging of skin
Another great article regarding coconut oil and alzheimer's.
Here is the Coconut Miracle book and Virgin Coconut Oil book that I want to read.
Acknowledgements: Thank you Jessica over at Delicious Obsessions!!
Thank you Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama for your 333 uses for coconut oil, your coconut dosing guide, your coconut is know for guide and coconut oil pulling directions and all of your obvious hard work!!!! Your blog is truly amazing! I am glad I stumbled across you! :-) You inspire me.
NOW GO BUY SOME COCONUT OIL and get it in and on you NOW!!!!!!! :-)
I have heard great things about Gold Label. (This is now my ABSOLUTE favorite!)
I just bought a 54 oz jug from Vitacost. I can't wait to try it. (Tried it! = Delish!) And I no longer buy this. Now I buy it from Costco. :-) See picture below.
I have been using unrefined, expeller pressed from Whole Foods, their 365 line.
|I buy this at Costco for a really good price. It is not the high quality that you get from Tropical Traditions but it is pretty good.|