About Me

My photo
My passion it to be healthy. And to teach you how to be healthy. Open your mind and dive in.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Easy Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner

So, I have a confession.  I HATE cleaning toilets.  H  A  T  E   

Yes, I know I should be blessed that we have indoor plumbing, yadda yadda yadda but I procrastinate cleaning our toilets to the point that it is VERY obvious they need cleaning.  

Then, I reluctantly make my way to the cabinet to get my wowgreen toilet bowl cleaner (which by the way wowgreen has sadly fallen off of the face of the earth, I have grieved this and finally moved on, by the way).  Spray it in the toilet, let it set and do the scrub thing with the poky brush thing.  And I have a container of Seventh Generation wipes that I use to clean the outside of the toilet, seat, lid, etc.

By the way, I also have a "thing" that I have to scrub my toilets right before I get in the shower, because the idea of scrubbing a toilet and then preparing dinner just grosses me out.  BIG TIME !!  (sharing one of my many idiosyncrasies with you all)

So, a couple of days ago I went to the cabinet to get my wowgreen toilet cleaner and guess what??  The bottle is empty.  Great planning on my part, right?  

So, I think to myself....why can't I make a toilet bowl cleaner myself?  There has to be a doTERRA oil that makes a rockin' toilet cleaner, right?  The answer to that is a big, HUGE YES!  :-)  And it is sooooo easy.

So, here's the deal-e-o.....

Ingredients and supplies:
1 8 oz cobalt blue or amber glass spray bottle (I buy mine here)*
10 drops "do" OnGuard essential oil (buy from me :-) )
1 cup Distilled White Vinegar
1 cup Baking Soda
1/4 cup Morton Salt (the only place where I use this kind of salt...BUY sea salt that is not pure white to cook and eat with)


1.  Mix the vinegar and OnGuard essential oil in a spray bottle, spray inside bowl.  I used a kitchen funnel to do this.

2.  Mix baking soda and salt together in a shaker container of some sort and sprinkle on vinegar mixture.  I used one of my Bullet cups and the sprinkle top that came with it, it works perfectly.

3.  Spray vinegar/OnGuard mixture inside toilet bowl, until you feel the inside is covered with the spray.

4.  Then sprinkle some of the baking soda/salt mixture inside the toilet bowl on top of the vinegar/OnGuard spray.  You will hear a fizzing/bubbling sound, it's kinda cool.  :-)

5.  Let stand for 10 minutes then scrub with poky brush and flush.

6.  Repeat in other dirty toilets and store for future use.

All done!!



This is the sprinkle top I was telling you about.

*You probably don't have to buy a glass bottle to scrub your toilets...yes the OnGuard will pull petrochemicals out of a plastic bottle, but since you are not drinking it, I think it would be ok.  I just had an 8oz glass, so I used it.

Keep trying to live green,

No comments:

Post a Comment