Saturday, August 3, 2013

Easy Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner

So, I have a confession.  I HATE cleaning toilets.  H  A  T  E   

Yes, I know I should be blessed that we have indoor plumbing, yadda yadda yadda but I procrastinate cleaning our toilets to the point that it is VERY obvious they need cleaning.  

Then, I reluctantly make my way to the cabinet to get my wowgreen toilet bowl cleaner (which by the way wowgreen has sadly fallen off of the face of the earth, I have grieved this and finally moved on, by the way).  Spray it in the toilet, let it set and do the scrub thing with the poky brush thing.  And I have a container of Seventh Generation wipes that I use to clean the outside of the toilet, seat, lid, etc.

By the way, I also have a "thing" that I have to scrub my toilets right before I get in the shower, because the idea of scrubbing a toilet and then preparing dinner just grosses me out.  BIG TIME !!  (sharing one of my many idiosyncrasies with you all)

So, a couple of days ago I went to the cabinet to get my wowgreen toilet cleaner and guess what??  The bottle is empty.  Great planning on my part, right?  

So, I think to myself....why can't I make a toilet bowl cleaner myself?  There has to be a doTERRA oil that makes a rockin' toilet cleaner, right?  The answer to that is a big, HUGE YES!  :-)  And it is sooooo easy.

So, here's the deal-e-o.....

Ingredients and supplies:
1 8 oz cobalt blue or amber glass spray bottle (I buy mine here)*
10 drops "do" OnGuard essential oil (buy from me :-) )
1 cup Distilled White Vinegar
1 cup Baking Soda
1/4 cup Morton Salt (the only place where I use this kind of salt...BUY sea salt that is not pure white to cook and eat with)


1.  Mix the vinegar and OnGuard essential oil in a spray bottle, spray inside bowl.  I used a kitchen funnel to do this.

2.  Mix baking soda and salt together in a shaker container of some sort and sprinkle on vinegar mixture.  I used one of my Bullet cups and the sprinkle top that came with it, it works perfectly.

3.  Spray vinegar/OnGuard mixture inside toilet bowl, until you feel the inside is covered with the spray.

4.  Then sprinkle some of the baking soda/salt mixture inside the toilet bowl on top of the vinegar/OnGuard spray.  You will hear a fizzing/bubbling sound, it's kinda cool.  :-)

5.  Let stand for 10 minutes then scrub with poky brush and flush.

6.  Repeat in other dirty toilets and store for future use.

All done!!



This is the sprinkle top I was telling you about.

*You probably don't have to buy a glass bottle to scrub your toilets...yes the OnGuard will pull petrochemicals out of a plastic bottle, but since you are not drinking it, I think it would be ok.  I just had an 8oz glass, so I used it.

Keep trying to live green,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews