Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coloring Easter Eggs

Well, Easter is almost here, so I started to do some research to see what I could find about coloring eggs......you guessed it.....THE NATURAL Way!   :-)

Guess what...I found some pretty cool ideas.  I have not tried this, so if you try this before I do let me know what you think.

As I have blogged about in the past...artificial coloring is BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!  There are studies that actually show that artificial food coloring is carcinogenic....get that???...it can cause CANCER.  You have probably read about Red Dye, it is the worst, but try to avoid all food coloring if possible (but especially any food or drink with red food coloring in it!!). 

Our "perfect" world would consist of clear and all NATURAL coloring used to color our foods and drinks.

So, here is what I found....when coloring eggs, instead of buying those tiny tablets we are all so familiar with to color our eggs try this instead.....

1.  Robin egg blue color---Buy red cabbage leaves
2.  Tender yellow---Orange peels
3.  Smoky yellow green---Carrot tops
4.  Pale lavender flecked with soft rust---Yellow Delicious apple peelings
5.  Orange---Brown onion peels (not white)
6.  Pinkish color with gray-green buffs---Fresh spinach

How to make...
To dye eggs, place eggs in a pan and cover with water.  Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and dye material.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.

The color will deepen or change if the eggs are left in the dye solution overnight.  But place in refrigerator if wanting the deeper color overnight!

If you leave the eggs sit out on the counter over night, please do not eat.

I also bought India Foods food coloring at Whole Foods (all natural from highly concentrated vegetable colorants).  It come in a package of 3 colors, red, blue and yellow.  I might try this to dye my eggs too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews